NEWS FROM AROUND THE REGION
- Mustafa Fall (Fiji): New National Indoor Record: Shot Put – 17.65m.
- Tori Peeters (NZL): New National Record: Javelin – 62.04m
- Julia Ratcliffe (NZL): New Area Record: Hammer – 72.35m
- Regine Tugade (GUAM): New National Record: 200m – 24.31
IN THE NEWSPAPER
NEWS FROM AROUND THE REGION
Athletics Cook Islands
Congratulations to Alex Beddoes for his efforts at this weeks Vic Miller’s Club meet in Melbourne. Alex won his race in a time of 1.52.11 and was pleased to open up a nice lead at the final 200m. Good progress as he builds towards the 2020 Tokyo Summer Olympic Games later in the year.
Check out his race here on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kelMPvOVHSA
New Zealand: Sir Graeme Douglas International
Athletes from countries including Australia, Japan and Canada descended on the Douglas Track and Field to take on the best of New Zealand’s athletes in an outstanding meeting. Result Highlights:
- Tom Walsh won the shot put with a throw of 21.66m
- Javelin: Cameron McEntyre (Aus) 78.63m, H. Peacock (Aus) 77.58m.
- Pole Vault: Stephen Clough (Aus) 5.17m, Nick Southgate (NZ) 5.17m, Declan Carruthers (Aus) 5.17m
- 100m: Z. Hobbs (NZ) 11.38, R. Elliott (NZ) 11.60, B. Somerfield (NZ) 11.63
- 100m, E. Osei-Nketia 10.19, R. Browning in 10.23 and J. Doran in 10.47.
- 200m: R. Day (Aus) 23.82, J. Beecher (Aus) 23.96, N. Owusu-Afriyie (Aus) 24.07
- 800m: C. (Aus) 2:04.45, A. Petty (NZ) 2:04.84, K. Small (Aus) 2:05.56.
- 400m hurdles: Portia Bing (NZ) 56.81, Sara Klein (Aus) 57.76
- Pole vault: Nina Kennedy (Aus) 4.50m, Hannah Philpot (NZ) 3.82m
- Dame Valerie Adams was second in the women’s shot put with 18.73m. Canadian Sarah Mitton won, with a personal best throw of 18.84m
- 1500m, Nick Willis held on to win in 3:41.77 to Rorey Hunter’s 3:41.81.
Athletics Australia: Sydney Track Classic
The Sydney Track Classic was the first event around the world of the World Athletics Continental Tour, which gives athletes a great opportunity to qualify for major championships and athletics fans greater access to the sport. Highlights included:
- Tori Peeters won the Javelin with a new National Record for NZL – 62.04m
- Men 800m – Peter Bol won the race in 1:45.85 with Joseph just behind him in second with 1:45.89.
- Men High Jump – Brandon Starc 2.30m, Hamish Kerr of NZL 2.20m
- Hammer Throw – Alex Hulley 70.55m, 1.89m PB – within 2m of Olympic qual, and 57cm short of the Australian record
Men 400 Metres Hurdles – Christopher Douglas (50.02), Ian Dewhurst (50.81)
- Mens Para 1500m – Deon Menzie 4:01.64 (A qual) and Jaryd Clifford 3:52.70 (B qual)
- Mens Para 100m – James Turner 100m 12.08 (B qual)
- Toea Wisil (PNG) – Womens 100m: 12.08
- Banuve Tabakaucoro (FIJ) – Mens 200m:21.54
- World U20 Championships Qualifiers
Oscar Miers – HJ 2.16m, Mia Gross – 100m 11.70 (-0.5), PB, Abbey Caldwell – 1500m 4:19.55, Jack Lunn – 800m 1:47.42 PB, Ellie Beer – 400m 52.70
Looking to give your athletes some competition before zone or cokes to gauge their performances? Want to push your way into the 2019-2020 Fiji National rankings? or just wanna come out, have some fun and compete?
Then come on down to the ANZ National Stadium for half a day of athletics events. Program is on our website, just click on the link below!!
Hope to see you all there!!
After six months of testing/rehab with our Sport Medicine team, PNG female jumper Rellie Kaputin will now depart our shores for Australia to resume training for her 2020 Olympic Qualifying events. It has been a tremendous experience supporting her and feeding off of her confidence and determination to make the come back a reality. Who better to give her humble words of encouragement on the eve of her departure than PNG Sailing’s recent 2020 Olympic Qualifying athlete – and Team PNG’s first for 2020 Tokyo – Teariki Numa. PNG High Performance is very proud of these two young champions and wish them all the best going foward.