Athletics events do not run themselves. Any country with a competition programme will need Officials to conduct competitions according to the rules and ensure that athletes have every chance of achieving their best performance.
Every Carnival, Club Night, Competition, Schools Meet and Championships owes much of its success to the volunteer Officials. Federations, Associations and Clubs are always on the look out for new officials and volunteers.
A fun and rewarding part of the sport officiating for most begins at low key competitions in their local club night, and for some, it can take you all the way to the Olympic Games. At the 2020 Olympic and Paralympic Games, Oceania had 7 officials who were appointed to the Games.
Officiating, and officials, can have an impact on the whole spectrum of athletes, from grassroots, to One Day Tour Meets, to Masters athletes, and everything in between. Each Technical Official is different, and there is a role for everyone who is willing to assist.
Officiating Athletics competitions is flexible and fun. Officials can attend as many or as few events based on their circumstances. Even if you are only able to come to one or two events per year or help out once a month, there is an opportunity for you to be a part of the officiating community.
BENEFITS OF OFFICIATING INCLUDE:
- The opportunity to remain involved in athletics if a person is unable to compete
- An opportunity to socialise with like-minded individuals
- The ability to be involved in, and give back to, a community focused organisation
- Assist athletes to perform at their best and achieve their goals and dreams
- The opportunity to officiate at National Athletics Events and Championships
- The ability to progress to International competition such as the Olympic Games for those with greater ambitions
Technical Officials Resources
Subscribe to our Oceania Athletics Technical Officals Newsletter